Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Reflections

Today is my youngest childs birthday. Mark hits the ripe old age of 21. We mormons have an odd tradition of sending our young men out into the world to "preach and teach" and so they normally celebrate their 20th, and 21st birthdays away from family.
Mark definitely adds spice to our lives. I have been reminded of things Mark has done as I have read Rachel and Megan's facebook accounts of their boys. It isn't always easy raising enthusiastic children. Sometimes you just have to hang on, and hope your grip is strong enough to keep your head above water. I cannot even begin to tell all the tales of Mark. Nor would he want me to tell them. Mark was attending BYU-I when he received his mission call. We decided that he would benefit by attending the temple close by in Rexburg. So we flew him home to Alabama one week-end so we could go through the temple with him. After we got home he made this token fire to burn some items that would no longer be needed. Silly boy, but this is so reflective of Mark.

Mark was so anxious to leave on his mission. The only thing he regretted was not seeing Josh return from his mission before he left, they over lapped by a couple of months. This is our Christmas call from Josh. Gotta love the calls from your missionary.

As a mom, you start teaching your young sons about missions almost the day they are born. We sing songs about serving missions, we talk of their service, we save for that big day. I remember so well as Kyle prepared to leave. I started wondering, have I taught him all he will need to serve? I started to worry, and became anxious. Although he was doing the very thing I knew to be right, I had doubts and fears. And then he was set apart as a missionary by our Stake President. I will never forget the peace that filled my soul. I knew that my son was in our Heavenly Fathers care, and the areas that he might be inadequate would be covered.
I am so thankful for the choice my sons have made to serve a mission. I am grateful for the peace I have felt during their service. Grateful for the opportunities they had that have shaped them into the amazing men that returned home to us.



Happy birthday Mark. I love you

3 comments:

Angela said...

What a sweet post Aunt Kaye!

Heidi said...

I have five embryo missionaries--first one is starting high school next year. I already find myself wondering where the time has gone. What a handsome young man! You are Awesome:)

Grandma B said...

I'm kind of partial to that boy! What a fine young man! When's he coming home? Luv you Guys!!!