Monday, January 31, 2011

Our visit with J,J,&J

I was really looking forward to our visit from Josh, Jon & Jennie. I had carefully planned out how I would spend the 3 days with Josh before Jon & Jennie came, and then what we would ALL do together, and then the 3 days with just Jon & Jennie after Josh flew home. Josh and I visited the Arecibo Observatory. I didn't find out til later that the road terrified him. WHAT, now if you want terrrifying, I had a perfect road for that.

Jon & Jennie flew into San Juan Christmas afternoon. We opened most of our Christmas presents the evening of Christmas, not to be confused with Christmas eve.


All the kids got Puerto Rico t-shirts, easy peasy.



The 3 J's were really looking forward to beach time. WELL, high surf warnings, and cold overcast skies kept us out of the water most of their visit. On the last day we braved the elements, and went swimming. I was sorta nervous even though I felt we were in a safe spot. Nancy & Janice, this is actually where we would go swimmng while you were here, just what was behind us, the tidal pool. The kids went for a short time where we swam, but the ocean was just too angry, not good for swimmers.


The water wasn't too bad temp wise, once you got used to it.


This parasail looked so fun, there is a huge fan behind the pilot that allows them to fly for a LONG time. When he saw that I was trying to take his picture, he actually circled around and buzzed us, way cool.


Jennie and I were on the beach watching the guys. We thought they were much too close to the big waves, and were nervous nellies the whole time. They said the waves were at least 60 feet beyond them, ummm I don't think so!!!!


This is a horrible picture, and on it's side tahboot. Jennie wanted to see what the Sam's club was like here in Puerto Rico. I had told her that it is right on the coast, and is in such a beautiful setting, almost seems a shame to waste such a beautiful view on a warehouse store. WELL... Sam's is about 40 minutes away, and we are tootling along, we reach Hatillo, and there are a lot of cars parked on the side of the road, and then we see a LOT of police in full riot gear, and crazy decked out vehicles, and ....I remember a shop keeper in Isabela telling me not to go to San Juan on the 28th because of some festival in Hatillo. OOPS!!!! Well, we make it through, and I call to tell Marlow about all the craziness. He calls back just a few minutes later, we had just gotten to Sam's, and tells me it probably isn't safe for us to be there. Come to find out, the patron saint they are celebrating is sorta like april fools day for children, except the children keep getting older and older. We noticed a lot of cars covered in either shaving cream or whipped cream, and I guess that is why the high police presence, to try to keep control of a volitile situation.


I love the pathway by the train tunnel. The walk is right on the ocean, and beautiful.


Sorry this is turning into a documentary, but for those who have been here, it might bring back some memories, and for those who haven't been, what you waiting for?????


I told you at the start how carefully I had planned our activities. You know what they say about the best of plans???? A huge storm in the Northeast dashed all my careful planning. Not that I am complaining. I'm grateful that since Josh had to get stranded it was in our home, not some airport. But, our little car is wondering what we did to it. I am amazed that we were able to get that much luggage to fit. I was going to stay home when Marlow took the kiddos to the airport, but Jennie would have none of that. Sooooo we set off the 5 of us in our little Kia Rio. We had a wonderful time seeing El Morro, Jennie & Jon are in front of the entrance to the wonderful old fort. It is an amazing structure to wander around in.

I think it is like over 500 years old, I'll have to ask my walking encyclopedia about that next time I see him. Regardless, it is amazing, like stepping back in time.


This is a circular staircase you go from one level to the next, it's a bit weird because the steps are taller than what you are used to.


We were almost done exploring El Morro, look up, and this HUGE ocean liner is going out to sea.

I am so glad that we spent a wonderful day together, what happy memories we made.


One of our favorite things about Old San Juan is the refreshing ice cream you can buy from the street vendors. Jennie had him mix all three flavors, parcha, coco, ooohhh what was the third??


After wandering the streets of Old San Juan, we exited through the Princess gate onto the outer walk way, it was an absolute breath taking sunset. I'm sad that pictures just don't capture the coloring of the moment.


It was a wonderful way to bring to close an awesome week with my loved ones.


The next morning we headed to the airport. Jon & Jennie left bright and early. Josh's flight left in the late afternoon, so we did some more exploring. We actually found a really nice beach, and wished we had our swim suits handy, because as

Jennie & Jon flew out, the sun came out of hiding.


I love to watch the waves, something so calming about the ocean.


Marlow and Josh were able to spend some much needed Father & son time.

It was great to have the kids here. Thanks for the memories, hey that sounds like a great title for a post!!!!

2 comments:

Kendi said...

What fun to have your kids home for Christmas! I am so glad that they were able to come and see you. It sure looks beautiful...even with the stormy weather.

Malita Bingham said...

So beautiful! I want to come! Maybe someday when I am rich, I can travel more.