Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Bumps in the journey of life

It is hard to believe that we are already in the second week of June. Time just keeps marching on. The last two months have brought a multitude of thoughts and emotions.

The middle of April Marlow was informed that he was not being recommended to remain on tenure track. The tenured department faculty felt this move was doing him a favor, while driving the knife deep into his back. He was told that he is an excellent teacher, and does great research, but does not meet the standard as far as publishing papers. So let me understand, he is an asset to the students, brings money into the University through his research, but doesn't put his name on enough papers so off with his head. It is a bitter pill to swallow when you are rejected by a body of your peers.

It is hard to describe the shock when you receive such news. I like the stability I felt in our life. I took for granted the mundane, boring life I led. Although he has a position til April of 2011, our mind raced to possible job opportunities.

I know that we all face challenges in our lives. We are told we need opposition in all things. Without opposition God's plan is without purpose. We have seen the hand of God in many things, letting us know that He is aware of us, and helping us to trust He is in charge, and knows what will be in our best interest.

I am not a patient person, when I decide I want to do something, or change something in my life, I want it NOW. I get frustrated when I'm not able to stay the course for long periods of time. I am not a marathon woman.

When this job surfaced in Puerto Rico, I thought this was going to be a painless process, no sweat. I am now learning that patience is a virtue I don't have. We are still waiting for an offer from PR, and according to Marlow's source it is coming, just a matter of when.

I was doing really good, I had an unusual peace/calm about everything, and then those little doubts creep in, and if given room to grow expand til they burst forth. I am now trying to refocus my thoughts, and regain that peace.

In the mean time a local company has expressed interest. Unfortunately they currently have a job freeze, so we will have to see if they can work around that. Marlow has written out a list of contacts he knows that he is in the process of calling to see what opportunities are out there.

We are pressing forward on the home front. Getting our house in tip top shape so if we need to sell, the house will be ready for the market.

I know that there are many in today's economic climate that are without jobs. I'm glad we have a year to search. I am also grateful we have a loving Father in Heaven who is mindful of our situation. I will diligently strive to follow where we are directed.

3 comments:

Kendi said...

Aunt K,
I was touched by your openness over your situation. Chris and I have had somewhat of a similar situation, only we lost being self employed because of this recession. I did not have the courage to share what we have faced. I felt shame by it all but was so grateful to read and feel of your courage to face it. I empathize with all that you are facing. There were times as we waited to hear if Chris had gotten a job, where I was so overwhelmed by fear, that I would fall on my knees and plead for peace. Often, words of the temple would come to my mind and I would utter them with a heartfelt cry! Oh how I needed to be heard!!! This experience has not been easy, as we have had to move to an area that is so foreign to me, but I have seen the hand of the Lord and I know that He is aware of our needs. I will pray for you. I will pray for the peace you will need and the strength to face whatever may come your way! Know that I love you and I know that our Heavenly Father loves you too!

Hang in there and please keep us posted.

Kendi said...

I've been thinking about you more. North Dakota is a great place to live, if you want to look here for work!!! Sending my love!

Alison Hixson said...

Aunt Kaye,

Reading your post has really brought back a lot of painful and hard memories of the last few years of my life. I admire you for trying to be patient and having such a positive attitude about it! I think during our trial in the beginning I wanted something to happen right away and I honestly thought that it would (I'm the youngest, I usually get it pretty quickly!!). I think it took me a good 4-5 months to realize that we were needing to learn something (I'm pretty dense!!) and I know the biggest thing was patience. That has always been a hard thing for Vaughn and myself and even though we learned so much about it during that trial, we still have a long way to go and much to work on.

We will keep you and Uncle Marlow in our prayers and I know that Heavenly Father is mindful of you. You are such a great example to me and I appreciate your influence in my life.

I second Kendi, please keep us posted!!