Thursday, June 10, 2010

Musings of an impatient woman

I appreciated Kendi's comments. I have often thought that if we were only aware of the trials of others, our journey wouldn't feel so hard.

I had to smile after posting the other day, I picked up the conference issue of the Ensign to continue reading. The talk that I was on was from the Priesthood Session, entitled "Continue in Patience". Isn't it ironic that is exactly what I needed to hear?

Pres Uchtdorf told of a study that was done with four-year olds. Large marshmallows were placed in front of the children, and they were told that they could eat them now, or, if they waited for 15 minutes, they could have two.

They left the children alone and watched what happened from behind a two way mirror. Some children ate the marshmallows immediately, some waited a few minutes before eating the marshmallow, only 30% were able to wait. I think I would have eaten my marshmallow immediately.

Here are some of the things that struck me: "the children that ate their marshmallow right away struggled later in life and had more behavioral problems". And I thought I was a brat and misbehaved because I was the youngest in the family!

"The ability to wait-to be patient- was a key character trait that might predict later success in life". That is a very telling statement, although I have often pondered what does SUCCESS actually mean. How do we know when we have been successful (that's a topic for a later discussion)

"Patience--the ability to put our desires on hold for a time--is a precious and rare virtue. We want what we want, and we want it now...without patience, we cannot please God; we cannot become perfect."

Pres Uchtdorf goes on to tell of his experience in school, stuggling in a new school to keep up with so many new things. He had a teacher that taught him to be patient, and that steady, consistent work-patient persistence-would help him learn. Over time the subjects that were difficult became clearer. He learned that if he applied himself consistently he could learn.

From that experience he learned that patience was more than just waiting for something to happen-"patience required actively working toward worthwhile goals and not getting discouraged when results didn't appear instantly or without effort. Boy, do I need to hear that particular statement, don't get discouraged when results don't appear instantly.

Is it a happen stance that this article was the one to be read today. Maybe, but I also feel it was there because that is the message I need to hear today. And to go along with that, today I was working on some devotionals for YW camp that I am going to in a couple of weeks. We were assigned Emma Smith/Endurance for our woman to focus on at camp. I was reading an article about Emma by Pres Hinckley. It references D&C 25, and the many instructions to Emma.

D&C 25:13 Wherefore, lift up thy heart and rejoice, and cleave unto the covenants which thou hast made."

President Hinckley goes on to say "I believe He is saying to each of us, be happy. The gospel is a thing of joy. It provides us with a reason for gladness. Of course there are times of sorrow. Of course there are hours of concern and anxiety. We all worry. But the Lord has told us to lift our hearts and rejoice". ... Cultivate a spirit of optimism. Walk with faith, rejoicing in the beauties of nature, in the goodness of those you love, in the testimony which you carry in your heart concerning things divine.

Now to put all that into practice, and be patient and see the good in my life as I go forth. I'm grateful for the lift these talks gave me. I keep reminding myself that God has assured us we will not be asked to shoulder more than we can bear. With God's help, all things are possible.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Dear Aunt Kaye,

I have really appreciated your last two posts. The uncertainty of the world's economics is somethings we have felt also...NO FUN!! However, I know God would have us learn to know Him more intimately through it all, as well as learn more humility and patience. Thank you for sharing...You are stronger than you know!!