Tuesday, September 30, 2008

My "Birth" day

I guess Jennie's post on Sunday is misleading. Yes, we celebrated my birthday, but I'm surprised Heather realized my actual birthday is today the 30th. Wow!!!! My kids are doing their best to help me realize how OLD I am. Marlow says I am beginning my "Jubilee" year. All this has led me to reflect upon my mortality. Growing old has never bothered me. I know some have a melt down when they hit 30, but it was just another birthday to me. I still don't feel old, in fact I'm feeling better now than I have for a long time.

I've decided to do a few things in the coming year. In anticipation of the BIG 50 next year, I'm going to write 50 letters to people who have influenced/affected my life. 50 letters of apology/regret to those who I have mistreated (I hope I can get my list down to 50) I also want to make sure I LIVE.

I recently read the book "The Last Lecture" by Randy Pausch. It really got me thinking about my dreams, and goals. I've found that now all my kids are basically out of the nest, I need to identify new goals for my life. I realized that many of my goals up to this point have been children related and driven. I'm grateful for that, but now need to continue forward with worthy goals.
draft

6 comments:

Kendi said...

I love your plan of writing letters! I am going to copy your idea!

I am one of those people who did suffer a bit of a meltdown when I turned 30. I remember looking at my face, close up in the mirror, and noticing the wrinkles that were forming around my eyes. I was in a bit of denial over the fact that I was at an age that I considered old when I was a child. I was shocked to discover that I still felt young and not at all what I expected a "30" year old person to feel like! Since that birthday, I still look at myself, and think,"Wow, I am starting to look a bit older", but I am finding that the older I become the more I like who I am becoming. As a teenager, I suffered from such poor self-esteem and it has taken years of coming to truly know and believe that I am a Daughter of God (and a very patient husband) to help me come to see who I am and what I can become! Have I come to accept my wrinkles? Well,I guess in a way I have! I like to think that I have earned them from the smiles that cover my face and from the tears that at times escape.

Thank you so much for your words and for allowing me the chance to think about what "getting older" means to me! Sorry to have written such a long comment.

Love ya,
Kendi

Darcee said...

Happy Birthday!

What a great goal! I'm sure that will make huge differences in people's lives.

Nancy said...

I didn't realize there were two nieces and nephew born on your birthday--Megan's Marcus and Michael's Emma! Wow, you are special (and I am not kidding)

Jordan & Heather said...

I hope you had a great one! I'm glad that you are blogging since I live in Idaho and you in Alabama we never really knew each other. How GREAT! It sounds like you have a good goal ahead of you this year.

Katie and Dennis said...

I can always remember your age because I'm 10 years behind you. I don't think the big four-oh next year will phase me. In fact I like getting older. Writing letters is a great idea. I think I will do that as well around my 40th. I think times like this are definitely times of reflecting and goal setting. Great thoughts.

Lots of love,
Katie

Unknown said...

Hi Aunt Kaye!

I am finally discovering that you and Aunt Nancy have blogs! I guess I'm a bit out of it. I'm thrilled I can now peek in once n' a while!

I really liked reading about your thoughts and goals. I will forever remember the letter you wrote me before I got married and the candy dish that came along with it (I still have them both). The time you took to compose a letter just to me told me that you really cared and that placed a mark on me! Thank you so much for always being so kind to me. I cannot tell you what that has meant to me. I love you much!